Warren, MI asked in Probate for Michigan

Q: Can a administrator of an estate rent the property of the deceased to another family member

The person who died without a will, so I was told, was the mother and guardian of one of a sibling. The other sibling is now the guardian and wants to continue renting the deceased property to the first. Isn't that dealing to themselves?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kenneth V Zichi
Kenneth V Zichi
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Howell, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: There is nothing that 'jumps up and down' and screams this is inappropriate in the facts you present, BUT the individual needs to have some authority to do this, be that as a court appointed Personal Representative or as the new owner under some other mechanism like a Ladybird or Quit Claim deed.

Without seeing all the documents and examining all the facts it is impossible to say for sure, but what IS clear is that the interested parties should be getting some legal advice from a licensed attorney in the area.

There is not necessarily ONE right way to do this, but there does need to be some overview to examine things.

--This answer is offered for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney/client relationship. I am licensed to practice in Michigan only. Please seek competent local legal help if you feel you need legal advice!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.