North Las Vegas, NV asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for Nevada

Q: Can Child Support be modified?

In May my ex moved out of town and gave me primary physical custody. I filed the stipulation and order with the judge so that everything was on the record. The stipulation and order clearly states in the first line that this is a temporary agreement until she moves back to town or if she moves out of state it would have to be reevaluated. She told me she would be gone 6-8 months and I have this on a recording. I filed to modify child support in September when I lost my job. She filed a countermotion to get full custody and relocate my son and the judge ruled that I would keep my son and her request was denied. At that point would the judge's ruling be a permanent order? He also said I would get child support but then the new judge said I don't get child support because I haven't showed a reason.I lost my job before filing for the modification, my ex sees my son way less than the original agreement and she has just signed another 1 year lease making this permanent not temporary anymore

1 Lawyer Answer
Bonnie M Lonardo
Bonnie M Lonardo
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV
  • Licensed in Nevada

A: If an existing child support order is in place, a modification is only warranted in the case of a 20% change in income. If not, any parent is entitled to motion for child support, however the amount is based on the custody arrangement in place. I would suggest you enlist the help of an experienced Family Law attorney to review the judges decision on your custody order. With more information on the ruling/case, an experienced attorney will be able to provide a better explanation of your options.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.