New York, NY asked in Civil Rights, Landlord - Tenant and Military Law for New York

Q: How can I get this issue resolved and keep the apartment ?

My friends mother passed away he spoke about keeping the apartment but nothing was finalized since he had to go to the army. Building knew we were moving in and always greeted us even came to fix things in the apartment but no one told us that we couldn’t be here. Today my boyfriend goes to finalize everything and they told him that there is a court case open and we might lose the apartment. Is there anyway we can save it and keep it since we’ve already moved in

1 Lawyer Answer
Sabra M. Janko
Sabra M. Janko pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Military Law Lawyer
  • Colorado Springs, CO
  • Licensed in New York

A: It sounds like this may be an inheritance issue. It depends on what the will says. The fact that you are living there will not be relevant if he does not own the apartment. He may be able to assume payments if the will provides for that.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.