Dayton, OH asked in Family Law and Adoption for Ohio

Q: My daughter is 15 and her bio dad isn’t on the birth certificate or around , can my husband of 8 years adopt her?

My daughter’s biological father is not listed on the birth certificate and has never paid child support. We have proved paternity. He has never shown any interest is her whatsoever. My husband and I have been together since she was two and would love to adopt her. Do we have to get her biological father’s permission?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Cathy Cook Esq
Cathy Cook Esq
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Based on the facts you’ve provided, a step-parent adoption can occur. You will have to notify father, but don’t need his permission based on no support and no contact for one year.

2 users found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.