Chino Hills, CA asked in Animal / Dog Law for California

Q: Drug addicted ex-house mate leaves dog, comes back 6 months later and steals her from our yard. Can we get her back?

Long story short, he moved to Oregon suddenly and asked us to pick her up at his x girlfriends house. We made a verbal agreement we would take her, but she is our dog now. After 6 months, he shows up and takes her out of our yard and back to Oregon. We asked repeatedly if he was there to take her back, and he verbally stated no. Can we get her back?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
William John Light
William John Light
  • Animal & Dog Law Lawyer
  • Riverside, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You can sue in CA Small Claims and get an Order for return of Property. You will then have to hire an Oregon attorney to enforce that Judgment in Oregon.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.