Carthage, TN asked in Employment Law for Tennessee

Q: I worked in KY but live in TN & owner of business lives in TN. I was not paid. What state do I file complaint in?

I worked for a pharmacy in Ky and was not paid for hours worked or reimbursed for expenses like mileage and hotel bills that were agreed to be paid by owner. I live in TN and the owner lives in TN, but the business is incorporated. What state do I file a complaint in as far as small claims court?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Kentucky is the venue of the contract and its breach, so I would file there first. If successful, it will be a foreign judgment which must be used in TN to collect. If you file in General Sessions here, defendant will claim no jurisdiction.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.