Charlotte, NC asked in Criminal Law and Cannabis & Marijuana Law for Arizona

Q: What motion do I file to dismiss charges?

1 attorney told me to file a motion to dismiss without prejudice is this correct? I have DUI from 2012 for marijuana do to the new law in Az allowing medicinal marijuana. I would like to have the charges dismissed at the time I had a medical marijuana card from another state I don't know if that makes a difference in this case. I would like to have my driver's license and rights back. I'm just not sure which direction to go I cannot afford an attorney

1 Lawyer Answer
Matthew Maerowitz
Matthew Maerowitz
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Phoenix, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: Based on your question, I cannot tell whether you have a pending charge or a conviction for DUI from 2012. If it is a pending charge, then there is likely an active warrant for your arrest and you will need to get the warrant quashed and handle the DUI case before the driver license hold will be removed. If it is a DUI conviction, but you have outstanding fines then you will need to pay off your fines before the license hold will be removed. However, many courts will allow a payment plan to remove the license hold.

There is not a magic defense motion to dismiss. If there is no factual basis for the charges then the prosecutor should dismiss. In Arizona, you can be found guilty if the State proves that you were impaired to the slightest degree by marijuana regardless of whether you had a medical card. If it was strictly inactive metabolites, then that is a basis for dismissal as Arizona law requires there to be an active metabolite of marijuana for DUI.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.