Monroe, LA asked in Estate Planning, Foreclosure and Probate for Texas

Q: How to get my name on the deed to my dads house after his passing

My father and I had lived in this home since I was 6 years old. He got married in 2014 and he was renting to own the home. when the payments were completed they put the house in my step moms name and now my father has passed away. I called the tax office and they are not listing me or my brothers on the property because according to them my step mother was never married and my father is no where on the paperwork for the house. Is there anything I can do about getting this fixed? She didnt say it was a gift she just said that my step mom has sole ownership and that it is her seperate property. mind you she has gotten 1.5 mil in life ins. she bought a new home and back taxes are owed on my fathers and she has no intent to pay the $6,000. She is currently being sued by the city. would this be something worth fighting?

1 Lawyer Answer
Terry Lynn Garrett
Terry Lynn Garrett
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Austin, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Hire a local probate attorney to file an application for succession.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.