Grand Rapids, MI asked in Employment Discrimination and Civil Rights for Michigan

Q: Can I sue a company for wrongfully accusing me of a crime I did not commit ?

My old job is trying to say I committed a vandalism act against a car in their parking lot, no evidence against me or no proof of me being there just going by hearsay and blaming me for it , can I sue ?

1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Whenever someone talks about suing someone, we first must ask the question: what are the provable damages? Have you been turned down for other work?

Keep in mind that we're not talking about a criminal case here. No one needs to prove anything beyond a reasonable doubt. You would be well advised to consult with an employment law or civil rights attorney more familiar with the applicable burdens of proof, but I would think to prevail, you'd need to show something like a reckless disregard for the trust. That may sound easy, but is in actuality very hard to do.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.