Rochester, MA asked in Family Law and Domestic Violence for Massachusetts

Q: How much trouble could my mom get in for being abusive?

My mom's is somewhat physically abusive, extremely emotionally/ mentally abusive (example: threatening suicide) and also threatens me and my brother a lot (example: "I'm gonna slit your throat and watch you bleed"). She has also denied me food and various occasions, punished me for eating food and will also drive very recklessly, putting my life in danger. She also knows I have mental health problems but refuses to get me help/ sign up for therapy. If I where to press charges against her, what would the penalty be?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kimberly Winslow
Kimberly Winslow
  • Natick, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: Are you a minor? You can talk to a trusted teacher or guidance counselor at school. Another option would be to self-report to the Department of Children and Families by calling 508-910-1000. More information is available here:

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.