Grand Rapids, MI asked in Civil Rights, Employment Discrimination, Employment Law and Libel & Slander for Michigan

Q: Can I file a lawsuit against someone for defamation of character and discrimination?I have proof ? Accusing me of crime

A supervisor at my old job is accusing me of committing a crime of vandalism on his vehicle, there is no evidence against me but I have messages of him calling me a criminal saying and also telling people it was me who committed the crime of a vandalism act to his vehicle , he even reported my name to police and I received a call from a detective, I was at home and I have two witnesses who can vouch I was at home the day of the incident to his car , from what I was told they can’t verify who did it on camera but he blames me , can I take him to court??

1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: You probably could take him to court, but unless you have provable damages, I don't know what good it will do. Defamation and any civil claim is different and carries a different burden of proof than a criminal case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.