Oklahoma City, OK asked in Family Law, Adoption and Child Custody for Oklahoma

Q: Can I terminate my son's father's rights and adopt him myself?

My son's father has been convicted on several counts of rape 2, forcible oral sodomy, and manufacturing child pornography. My son is 14 and no longer want's contact with his father. However everything I have read states I have to have a husband to do a step-parent adoption. Is there really no way around this? Considering I have raised him on my own with little to no financial support from his father.

1 Lawyer Answer
Charles Watts
Charles Watts
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: There has to be someone to take the place of the parent being terminated. The only way to terminate rights is through an adoption or when DHS takes over to terminate. So in short, until you have been married for a year and have a step-parent adoption he stays on the books as father.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.