Prosper, TX asked in Family Law and Child Support for Nevada

Q: If my ex wants to do a medical treatment that I can't afford, do I have any recourse?

My daughter is receiving vision therapy. I recently lost my job and had to scramble to obtain a transfer to keep similar pay, but I had to move to Texas. I exhausted all my financial resources to move out her and remain gainfully employed. I told my ex that I wanted to wait on vision therapy for my daughter until I was stable. She assumed I was stable after I moved even though I am basically broke from moving. She is taking my daughter to vision therapy which my share of it around $320/month. I can't afford this, but she told me she spoke to her attorney (I don't have one), and she is going to keep my daughter in vision therapy regardless of my ability to pay. What can I do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bonnie M Lonardo
Bonnie M Lonardo
  • Las Vegas, NV
  • Licensed in Nevada

A: In difficult situations like this, my suggestion is to first always attempt to talk civilly with your ex and see if it’s possible to come to an agreement on how to handle the situation. In my opinion, this is always preferred and usually more beneficial to both parties than going to trial. Overall, it would be best to have your child custody/support arrangement reviewed by an experienced Family Law attorney in order to best understand what obligations you are legally held to. Due to your changes in employment, it may even be possible that a child support modification be warranted. With a better understanding of your court order, an attorney can help to identify the options available to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.