Methuen, MA asked in Traffic Tickets for Massachusetts

Q: Where can I find a traffic lawyer that will not charge me an arm and a leg to help me?

I have just received a letter stating that I have to appear in court for driving with a suspended license( which I did not know was suspended) I was stopped by an officer he took my license and he was the one to inform me that my license was suspended; and I informed him that I was unaware of it. I asked him what steps I would need to take to get my license reinstated, and he told me I would need to take a driving course, he took my license and I was sent home, that was October of last year. I did not receive a ticket o letter stating anything until yesterday (I took the driving course & my license is reinstated) I have no criminal record and have never been to court.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lissa McKinney
Lissa McKinney
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Acton, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: Typically the RMV sends the suspension notice to the license address on file. If you moved and failed to change the address, that is why you may not have been notified. Three (3) speeding tix in 2 years or any 5 moving offenses result in suspension. If you are lucky you are getting a Notice for a clerk's hearing. If it is a Notice of an Arraignment then you could have other issues. Go to the RMV and get a copy of your registry driving history. That will enable any lawyer looking at it to assist in the resolution. I am not sure what kind of legal fees you are hearing, but diminishing the work and value of a lawyer won't help you. There are many factors that go into the fee structures, and it is a whole lot less expensive to look for success before a criminal arraignment, as that will surely double the fee. As a practical matter, the fees are not just based on your particular issue, or the time involved, which can be substantial. They include the lost opportunity cost as the lawyer cannot take any other work that morning or afternoon, as well as the waiting around time for your case to be called. In addition, these days, simple cases can take all day as the Court constantly stops and starts where all people are working remotely. If it is a clerk's hearing you are noticed for, invest now and it will save you later. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.