Middletown, OH asked in Social Security for Ohio

Q: Ex-husband passed away about 4 years ago. We were married for 15 years 2 days. Pension (Opers)

I recently found out that he possibly had a pension through the Richland Co. Highway Dept. How do I get information on this as they told me since I am the ex they can’t give me that information? Mansfield, Ohio

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Andrew Popp
Andrew Popp
  • Cuyahoga Falls, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Your options may be fairly limited. Was the pension addressed when the divorce/ dissolution was handled? The default in Ohio is that once a divorce occurs, the ex-spouse is treated as though he or she pre-deceased the other spouse.

You may be able to look into the probate court records where his estate was handled and see if anything is noted.

Best of luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.