Maurice, LA asked in Employment Law and Civil Rights for Louisiana

Q: My employer has ignored ADA request 5 times and ended my health benefits I have proof .What is my recourse ?

My company called recently and asked me about my return and still pretending they never received my request.What can I do as far as my civil rights? What can I do as far as discrimination ?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Carrie Dyer
Carrie Dyer
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Columbus, OH

A: An employer cannot ignore an an ADA request for an accommodation. When an employee requests an accommodation, the ADA requires an employer to engage in good faith in an interactive process to determine if there is an accommodation that would allow the employee to perform the essential functions of his or her job without causing undue burden to the employer. Where did you send your ADA request? If the company has a procedure for submitting such requests, you should follow that process. You should reach out to an employment lawyer in your area to discuss your situation in more detail.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.