Plano, TX asked in Probate for Texas

Q: Can court appointed admin sell dad’s homestead if will left to caregiver child. Will contest hasn’t been heard in court.

My spouse and I took care of my parents and their large old home and 40 acres for13 years. They’re now deceased. Our sacrifice kept Dad from being on Medicaid and lose the family homestead. Dad left homestead, 11 yr old car and 16 yr old truck to me in will as compensation and appointed me ind executrix. Those gifts and appointment were contested by my 3 absent sibs who have their fancy homes, autos, salaries and enjoyed lives fully with no duty to our parents. Those care years combined with will contest, neglect by attorney and court appointed admin, has caused serious financial harm and loss of health to us. My spouse and I gave up our home, salaries, and happy life in Hawaii to be caregivers. We’ve yet to be heard in court including sibs will contest. Without notice of hearing, admin is now perm. Judge ordered all real estate and personal property sold. The only estate debt is money owed to us including our own ins checks. Along with Dad’s pets, we will be homeless. What do we do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Terry Lynn Garrett
Terry Lynn Garrett
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Austin, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: You have a probate attorney with whom you can discuss the probate matter.

With regard to housing, please contact the local Area Agency on Aging. There is subsidized senior housing through HUD and through private organizations.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.