North Port, FL asked in Child Support and Family Law for Texas

Q: Custodial parent, mother, in Texas agreed to end child support . What are the steps to do so now?

Had a conference to adjust child support payments and custodial parent agreed to end payments. Judge said it's a private attorney matter. Does this just involve putting this in writing with an attorney or what are the steps?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sharita Blacknall
Sharita Blacknall
  • Dallas, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: You will need an order of termination signed by Judge.

Here are some options:

1. Research how to get this done on your own.

2. Contact the attorney general to see if they will help.

3. Hire an attorney to complete the process.

Please note that although the Judge said that it is a private attorney matter, the Judge is the final decision maker on whether or not you will be allowed to not pay child support. Even though you and other parent agree, the Judge has discretion to not allow the agreement.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.