San Antonio, TX asked in Real Estate Law and Probate for Texas

Q: I am one of the beneficiaries on my late deceased mother’s estate. In the period of her death my health has declined I’m

I am one of the beneficiaries on my late deceased mother’s estate. In the period of her death my health has declined I’m in renal failure and had a stroke. The estate was in probate for 3 yrs due to the fact step father protested the will (greed). Now consider this I was on deaths door. My mother had a vibrant 30 yr Old Resteraunt and a beautiful home. Resteraunt was sold (fine by me) and divided per will so I thought. Home stepfather could stay in until his death which is now and then the 3 brothers deside jointly what to do with it. Now I’m looking over final settlement and it was sold and now to be distributed to his children all her hard working home, furnishings and memories gone what can I do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Isaac Shutt
Isaac Shutt
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Richardson, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: You'll definitely want to get a probate lawyer ASAP. You'll definitely want someone to protect your rights. It sounds like have of the restaurant and home belong to your mother's estate, of which you're a beneficiary. I would get an attorney to help you demand an accounting on your mother's estate. This is relatively easy and inexpensive for a lawyer to do and would be a good first step to making sure you get what your mother wanted you to have.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.