Amarillo, TX asked in Child Support and Family Law for Mississippi

Q: i just need to know how where and what to do to get a child modification in mississippi..

they are going off of my income from YEARS ago. and i no longer work due to health problems. i was counting on the stimulus to pay my bills but i got a paper saying they took my taxes due to child support. when i look on the website it doesnt give me any answers just more run arounds

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Melissa L Gardner-Ardoin
Melissa L Gardner-Ardoin
  • Olive Branch, MS
  • Licensed in Mississippi

A: You need to file for a modification of the last court order requesting a decrease in your child support amount. You will have to show a decrease in income since the entry of the last order that was caused by circumstances beyond your control. In other words, you didn’t voluntarily quit your job or get fired for misconduct on your part.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.