Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by William R. Wright
1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Mississippi on
Q: My husband’s kids mother is willing to sign her rights over to him does that still require a lawyer to do so?
William R. Wright
William R. Wright answered on Aug 16, 2021

A lawyer is not required to be retained for a parent to terminate her parental rights. Likewise, your husband could perform his own vasectomy without a doctor if he chose to do so. But he wouldn't do that, of course. Believe it or not, a parental termination case is just as serious as a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Mississippi on
Q: In the state of MS who can press charges on an adult in regards to a minor? Ex: mother does have custody Gramaw does

The minor has made accusations on an adult. The mother does have legal custody but Gramaw does. Mother filed charges. Are the acceptable for the case to further?

William R. Wright
William R. Wright answered on Aug 14, 2021

The question is a somewhat confusing. However, anybody of any age can report a crime at anytime regardless of custody designations is the answer I think you are looking for.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Mississippi on
Q: My best friend is being raped by her husband and needs to leave state with her two kids. She lives in Mississippi.

I need to figure out how to get them legally out of state. They are coming to Michigan and I want to make sure that we do this right.

William R. Wright
William R. Wright answered on Aug 5, 2021

This is a terrible situation. I am assuming the two children are also your friend's husband's children. There is no law prohibiting her travel out of state with her children. If Michigan is where she has friends or family, that is the logical destination for her on a temporary basis. If... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts for Mississippi on
Q: Would I be able to break my lease?

moved in 4/26, had a leak in bathroom 5/1 from upstairs neighbor AC. Contractor came out 5/10 and did not fix it properly. Had another leak 5/29 worse than the first time that now has mold outside the vent and inside. Nobody has yet to fix. I filed a complaint to MS Home Corporation and a inspector... Read more »

William R. Wright
William R. Wright answered on Jul 17, 2021

Without a lawyer reviewing your lease, there is no way to competently give you an answer to your question about breaking your lease.

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Mississippi on
Q: Hello, this statute (TX Tax Code 34.01) frequently references a "taxing unit." What are they referring to?
William R. Wright
William R. Wright answered on Jul 17, 2021

The Texas Tax Code defines a "taxing unit" as follows: " 'Taxing unit' means a county, an incorporated city or town (including a home-rule city), a school district, a special district or authority (including a junior college district, a hospital district, a district... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Child Support for Mississippi on
Q: My husband and I remarried in 2020. He is a disabled vet and doesn’t pay taxes. I filed a joint tax return at the end.

They took the taxes even though he doesn’t pay taxes to pay back child support on our case. The case was closed in March after they took our taxes. However, we still can’t get out taxes released

William R. Wright
William R. Wright answered on Jul 17, 2021

I really don't have enough facts to be confident about my answer. However, I am assuming you meant that the IRS took your refund. If either joint filer has a back child support issue, any refunds can be confiscated by the IRS. I don' t believe that the IRS will release the confiscated... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Adoption, Child Custody and Family Law for Mississippi on
Q: My husband had a child with someone else but the child was taken by CPS because she failed a drug test after childbirth.

CPS ended up giving him custody and she signed her parental rights over to him. A year later he asked me to watch him while he went to rehab. He ended up leaving it early but he let me continue to watch him. Almost a year after he came back the birth mom was incarcerated and he committed suicide... Read more »

William R. Wright
William R. Wright answered on Jul 17, 2021

I am sorry you have been through such a tough time. The first question is whether the birth mom turned over the child to your husband without a court order; or is there is a court order terminating parental rights? If there is no court order, the birth mom would have parental rights, of course.... Read more »

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.