Youngsville, LA asked in Divorce, Family Law, Child Custody and Domestic Violence for Louisiana

Q: Is there a statue of limitation on domestic violence occurrence being reported?

Multiple accounts of domestic violence and vandalism towards me by my husband, most recently 2 months ago. Is there a time frame to report this. And could I use these occurrences if a divorce is filed? No report ever filed but pictures and witnesses.

2 Lawyer Answers
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Covington, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: Hire a divorce lawyer who can file a Petition for Protection from Domestic Abuse and a Petition for Divorce for you. The longer you wait, the less likely you are to prevail on the domestic abuse.

Tom Murphy
Tom Murphy
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, FL

A: Statute of Limitations for a first-degree misdemeanor is two years. Keep your witnesses close. Yes, you can use this information in divorce/time-sharing proceedings.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.