Los Angeles, CA asked in Contracts, Civil Litigation and Collections for California

Q: In relationship over 10 years during over time I've accumulated his debt of over $18,000 he promised to repay and share

a life together upon his release. When he got out he ghosted me. Do I have any legal grounds to stand on?

1 Lawyer Answer
Theodore Allan Greene
Theodore Allan Greene
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Sorry to hear about your experience. It's not quite clear what legal grounds you want to stand on. If you mean the debt... If you acquired the debt on your credit cards or loans in your name only then you are responsible. Did you get his promise to repay or share in writing? If so you could sue him but if you didn't get anything in writing it would be a very difficult fight to win. If the "release" means he was released from incarceration then it's hard to imagine what the $18,000 went to. You could sit down with a civil litigation attorney and explore your options.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.