Montgomery, AL asked in Child Support, Family Law and Military Law for Alabama

Q: my ex husband is being activated for 6 months. he is national guard and we have 50/50 custody.

We do not have court ordered child support. We have been divorced for 2 years and has been activated several times for a period of more than 30 days. Is there a way to get temporary child support while he's away for 6 months? I have tried to ask him about it but he just says he's not giving me any money because he doesn't have to pay child support.

1 Lawyer Answer
Sabra M. Janko
Sabra M. Janko PRO label
  • Military Law Lawyer
  • Colorado Springs, CO

A: Each military service requires that servicemembers support dependents. You can ask his military command to require him to pay you a monthly amount. The amount is set forth in service regulations. Usually it is related to the housing allowance amount.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.