Asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Mississippi

Q: A sibling has custody of brother, the dad wants to see him after being out of prison for months. Child has expressed

He doesn't want to see him at all because after getting out of prison the first time he went back to jail months later and even after getting out the second time he choose to go back to his same ways not trying to see child until months after being out now the kid just choose not to see him at all. Is there anything the dad can do for us not letting him come around per the childs request?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Melissa L Gardner-Ardoin
Melissa L Gardner-Ardoin
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Olive Branch, MS
  • Licensed in Mississippi

A: You don’t say how old the child is, so the quick answer is maybe. If contact is denied to the father, he will have to petition to court for either visitation rights or some kind or contempt if there is an Order in place establishing his visitation rights.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.