Cleveland, OH asked in Domestic Violence and Criminal Law for Ohio

Q: Can I be forced to testify in domestic violence case?

I'm the victim (ohio) in the case. I asked to press charges but I no longer want to participate in the trial. The pre trial is next month. Can I refuse to testify in the state of ohio?

1 Lawyer Answer
Cathy Cook Esq
Cathy Cook Esq
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: You need to obtain advice from a criminal defense attorney. If you gave a statement to the police alleging domestic violence and now refute that claim, you could be charged with a crime yourself.

Dimitrios Makridis agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.