Saint Petersburg, FL asked in Family Law, Adoption, Child Custody and Juvenile Law for Florida

Q: MY children and I lived in Florida and the inlaws took them to TN and refused to return. Do I need a FL or Tn lawyer?

Is there any way to get the case brought to Fl? If so how? How do I know what lawyer to get? They are trying to adopt them and I want my babies back home asap!

1 Lawyer Answer
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: If the children have been out of Florida for less than six months, you would sue in Florida for custody. It is unclear what in-laws took them to Tennessee and are trying to adopt them; the parents of the children's other parent?

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.