Asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Mississippi

Q: Can a non-custodial parent's visitation be restricted to supervised if she is suicidal?

The children are 10 year old triplets and have been in the father's custody for 8 years. Mother has visitation. Last night, mother sent text messages to all 3 of the children on their cell phones threatening suicide. What steps will have to be taken and is it possible to have an emergency hearing to restrict visitation to supervised?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Melissa L Gardner-Ardoin
Melissa L Gardner-Ardoin
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Olive Branch, MS
  • Licensed in Mississippi

A: Yes, an emergency hearing would be available to the custodial parent in this situation with or without notice to the noncustodial parent, depending on the circumstances. However, steps should be taken to file such a motion immediately. Once the emergency has passed, the custodial parent will have to file for a modification of the present Judgment which will take much longer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.