Bronx, NY asked in Criminal Law for New York

Q: Should he stop running or possibly wait out the statute of limitations.

My friend has been on the run for almost five years. A charge of fraud and another incident where he was in the wrong place at the wrong time with cocaine that wasn’t his. He fled to New York recently for a visit and has just had a baby. The issue as well is he was dealing with someone else prior and she has falsely reported domestic violence in being spiteful and causing him a plethora of issues with family. He wants to know if it would be wise for him to continue running until statute of limitations runs out on the philly charges or should he just face the music now? Also if he should turn himself in should he do it in Philadelphia or in New York where the dv charge has taken place ?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Arbeit
Michael Arbeit
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Freeport, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: If he has warrants for these cases, there is no statute of limitations. He has pending cases in both PA and NY?

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.