Hamilton, OH asked in Adoption, Child Custody and Family Law for Ohio

Q: My daughter’s friend (16) and her infant child were kicked out of her mother’s. She is staying with our family and we

would like to provide a long term and safe environment for them. What formal agreements or legal status can we be granted for this situation?

Her mother’s home is not safe for her or her child. Emancipation is not an option in Ohio. Her mother would be willing to “sign off” on some kind of documentation but we are unsure of the proper process.

We are not interested in receiving any support from her mother.

1 Lawyer Answer
Nicholas P. Weiss
Nicholas P. Weiss pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Cleveland Heights, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: You have three options so long as the biological mother is willing to sign-off.

1) Adoption. You can adopt the daughter, which would permanently cut off the biological mother from future parenting.

2) Guardianship. You could assert yourself as a guardian over the child in probate court.

3) Custody change in juvenile court. You could seek custody as a non-biological parent.

There are significant pros and cons for each process, but any of them could get you the outcome you want.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.