Asked in Child Custody, Divorce and Family Law for Texas

Q: What other legal options do I have?

Me and my ex spouse were married for 12 years and divorced in Texas. This was a uncontested divorce and the decree lists us both as joint managing conservators with her as the custodial parent. There is not a standard possession order it only states that visitation will be agreeable by both parties. I have two sons ages 18 and 10 and will not allow any visitation and blocks all communication between me and my youngest son. She will not answer my calls or texts and if I show up at her residence she contacts law enforcement and makes up a scenerio that I verbally threatened her in a attempt to get me arrested and once previously had officers waiting nearby when I arrived on my son's birthday to bring him a gift. She then will use this story she makes up to get a protective order which she has done in the past. I can't even check on the welfare of my child. I am disabled and on low fixed income. I have no resources to afford legal help and have been denied legal aid due to heavy case loa

1 Lawyer Answer
Jonathan Tanaka
Jonathan Tanaka
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Harker Heights, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Thanks for your question and I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

I would suggest that you reach out to a local family law attorney so the attorney can review your final order with you and learn more about the facts surrounding your situation.

It sounds like you will need to file a petition to Modify your divorce decree and the attorney can assist you with that! I understand money is tight, but unfortunately, it is quite difficult navigating the process alone without one. Work on saving a small chunk every month and you'll be able to hire an attorney in no time! Best of luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.