Katy, TX asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Texas

Q: How long do I have to file motion to enforce for child visitation?

In Texas, after I gather all my evidence (police reports, receipts, etc) how long do I have to file motion to enforce for child visitation? Is there a cut off date for filing? After the denied visits, how much time can pass before I file?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jonathan Tanaka
Jonathan Tanaka
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Harker Heights, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Thanks for your question! I would recommend reaching out to a local family law attorney in your area so the attorney can review your final order with you and discuss the facts surrounding your situation.

The Texas Family Code states that the court retains jurisdiction if the motion for enforcement is "filed not later than the sixth month after the date:

(1) the child becomes an adult; or

(2) on which the right of possession and access terminates under the order or by operation of law."

Hope that helps!


Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.