Hialeah, FL asked in Criminal Law, Divorce and Family Law for Florida

Q: Can I press charges on ex wife for false allegations

My ex wife has filed multiple false allegations against me since 2014, dcf cases, injunctions, and trying to modify child arrangements. Each report says something different, and none of them have gone in her favor meaning I have been lucky enough for a judge not to believe her. This time she is accusing me of touching my almost 13 year old daughter, they opened up a criminal case (no arrest has been made). This has caused me an enormous amount of stress. I have never actually pushed back against this women legally, because I feel kids should see both parents equally, but something has to be done. The dcf case against me that was closed last month said nothing about her new allegations, and I’m terrified that one day she will find somebody who believes her lies. Do I have any grounds to sue her?

1 Lawyer Answer
Tom Murphy
Tom Murphy
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: It is illegal to make false allegations of a crime. See Florida Statue 817.49

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.