Ashburn, VA asked in Personal Injury and Products Liability for Virginia

Q: My Mom is being represented by a Firm out of our state of residency . She got Cancer from using Round up.

We have heard of multiple settlements, with substantial payouts, related to the Round up Litigation. My Mom continues to get emails from the Firm handling her case telling her to be patient " they are working on it". Mom is becoming increasingly ill and cancer is spreading. What should we do if she passes away prior to receiving any payout? Is there a way to expedite her situation? Are we able to set up beneficiaries to receive any payout if she does Pass prior to payout? She told me I was set up as a beneficiary with the Firm if something happened to her. But, when I reached out the the Firm to provide them an update on my Moms condition, they said they do not set up or perform Beneficiaries related to the Round Up Litigation. What are our options?

1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Products Liability Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: A Virginia attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for two weeks. What you are describing sounds like a matter for a survival action, involving continuation of a lawsuit in such circumstances. These are governed by state law, if Virginia has such provisions, and only a Virginia attorney could advise on that. Reach out to attorneys to ask about whether this would be applicable to your situation. Good luck. I hope your Mom gets to see her case settle and gets to enjoy the fruits of a settlement in her lifetime.

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.