Columbus, OH asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Ohio

Q: i have guardianship / child support order, my child lives with me, dad wont return him ,dads environment is very toxic .

My child turned 15 , his father is an alcoholic , has lots of guns not locked up and discusses using those guns with my son, sent me photos by text with guns strapped on our son, my child doesn't realize his father actions aren't good, he allows him the freedom of making his own decisions when in his care , my child wants to live with his father fulltime, what do you suggest i do, to get custody because of dads toxic ways .

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Cathy Cook
Cathy Cook
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: I’m not following your legal situation. Parents don’t have guardianship. They have custody or shared parenting. If father has court ordered parenting time, he has to return your child at the end of his time. If he doesn’t, you can ask the police for help. If father refuses to return him, you have to file a motion for contempt. To gain custody or more time if it is shared parenting, father will have to file for that in court.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.