Toledo, OH asked in Divorce and Family Law for Ohio

Q: Can my soon to be ex- husband dictate who watches our kids when we are at work?

This is a fresh divorce (2 weeks). We still live in the same house but hoping he is moving soon. There has been a long history of mental/emotional abuse. There was a first time ever confrontation between my mom (our full time sitter - 5 days/wk) and my husband regarding some verbal/emotional abuse she had witnessed by him to me. He had even accused my mom of assaulting him; however, her Ring camera caught it all and was clearly caught in a lie. He has since denied this allegation. Since this confrontation my husband will not allow our kids to be babysat by her out of spite/punishment for her. He threatens to go pick them up if I take them there in the mornings and cause a scene. She and the kids adore each other. She has been watching our kids every day for nearly 11 years when we work. The children miss her dearly and she misses them. They are being watched by a 21yr old now. He typically would take them to my mom as I go to work before he does-I feel I have no control. What can I do

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Cathy Cook
Cathy Cook
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: First, you need an attorney in your divorce. On this issue, you need to file a motion to restore your mother as the babysitter.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.