Mount Holly, NJ asked in Family Law and Social Security for New Jersey

Q: Can my parents kick me out at 17 if I have aspergers and they use me for income

I’m 17

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Richard Diamond
Richard Diamond
  • Short Hills, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Obviously there are serious problems / conflict in your house that needs to be addressed. I would run an internet search on family crisis intervention programs in the county where you live in to find out what mental health services are available to you to help in dealing with the fight taking place currently. Here is a link to a family crisis site for Somerset County - it will also give you links to services provided by other counties for similar type services -

Kenneth Prigmore
Kenneth Prigmore

A: Your parents are responsible for you until you are age 18. The New Jersey Department of Children and Families (DCF) will definitely help with your situation. Your parents will be told their responsibility and they will learn what consequences are possible for failure to help you. On their website, they define Child Abuse and Neglect as:


Abuse is the physical, sexual or emotional harm or risk of harm to a child under the age of 18 caused by a parent or other person who acts as a caregiver for the child.


Neglect occurs when a parent or caregiver fails to provide proper supervision for a child or adequate food, clothing, shelter, education or medical care although financially able or assisted to do so.

Being kicked out of your home is a form of neglect. You can contact DCF for help here:


You definitely have rights as a minor to "adequate food, clothing, shelter, education or medical care". Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. My office is several states away, so I am unable to do more.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.