Fort Collins, CO asked in Family Law and Real Estate Law for North Carolina

Q: what are my rights in NC regarding the sale of a home bought during my marriage?

My father in law bought a home for my husband and I and we lived there for 14 years. My estranged husband and his father are on the deed. My name is not, although I made the payments for 9 of the 14 years I lived in the home. My father in law is trying to sell the house and needs my signature on some paperwork, but he is trying to not allow me any of the money from the sale. I am wondering what I am legally entitled to given I have made most of the payments and his son and I are not yet divorced.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ben Corcoran
Ben Corcoran
  • Yadkinville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: This is a matter for the divorce settlement, you have very limited rights under real property law. In order for the house to be sold while you are married, you must sign the deed but likely you cannot be forced to sign.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.