Edmond, OK asked in Landlord - Tenant for Oklahoma

Q: Tenants verbally agreed to move 2 months early. We signed an offer and acceptance to sale house. Now renter refuses.

We signed an offer and acceptance for sale of the house. Can we back out of the offer and acceptance and are there expenses we are obligated to cover?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jessica Brown
Jessica Brown
  • Oklahoma City, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: More information is needed here.

Is there an underlying written lease with the tenant in place? If so, what are those terms regarding moveout and verbal modifications?

To get a renter out of the house, you have to file a Forcible Entry & Detainer with the court and evict them. However, if the tenant is in compliance with a written lease agreement, that will be a challenge. Usually, when there is a renter in a house and that house is being sold, the buyer steps into the shoes of the seller regarding the rental agreement.

If you can "back out of the offer and acceptance" is unclear as the terms of the contract regarding the sale of your home are unknown.

I wish you the best.

James Tack Jr agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.