Burnet, TX asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Texas

Q: Do I have to meet my ex halfway during her designated summer weekends?

My ex and I meet half way on my weekends to see my son as it is stated in our MSA to do so on those weekends. However, My MSA states that during my designated summer time with him that my ex can designate 2 non consecutive weekends to have him. It states ""Conservator" may have possesion of the child under this provision provided that "conservator" picks up the child from "non conservator" and returns the child to that same place." It does not specifically state to meet halfway as the other sections clearly lay out where to meet.

Does that mean my ex has to come to wherever I am (my house) and pick him up from me (pick up and return to that same place) OR do I still have to meet her half way?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jonathan Tanaka
Jonathan Tanaka
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Harker Heights, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Thanks for your question! Unless you both negotiated and agreed to meet halfway somewhere else in the MSA, it doesn't appear like it's required.

I would reach out to a local family law attorney in your area (Burnet) so they can review the language of your MSA. Or, reach out to the attorney who represented you during mediation?

Of course, it's always best to co-parent well and put the best interests of your child first. Technically, while it doesn't sound like you are required to meet halfway, you may want to offer to if the other parent would not be able to drive to Burnet.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.