Kokomo, IN asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights and Juvenile Law for Indiana

Q: How do I know as a minor what kind of protection/restraining order was put on my boyfriend by my parents?

We began dating 7 months ago I was 15 he was 19, he's now 20. My parents knew about our relationship the entire time, but they decided to put a restraining order when they found details of our relationship. I'm just wanting to know if it is a restraining order that will expire, one I can ask to be lifted when I turn 18 or what?

1 Lawyer Answer
Andrew L. Bennett
Andrew L. Bennett
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Valparaiso, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: The protective order is likely for 2 years so it will expire before you turn 18, however, your parents may be able to get an extension. Additionally, if you and your boyfriend are sexually active and there is more than 4 years in age difference, he is committing Sexual Misconduct with a Minor which is a felony offense.

2 users found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.