Bowling Green, KY asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Juvenile Law for Kentucky

Q: I’m 16, I’ll be 17 in few months. I’m trying to get away from my mother and go on my own, I looked into emancipation.

I need more information into it, such as if I take it to court what do I need to prove I can be emancipated. I work almost 40 hrs a week at my job just to pay bills for my mother, such as water bill, car insurance for all cars, electric bill sometimes ( my uncle pays it mostly) I pay for a bedroom suit so I have a place to sleep and my own phone bill. She will say things like “I’m packing my stuff and moving out you all can have this place” and “I don’t want to be here I don’t want to be living” I do have messages to prove the way she acts and people to back me up on what I just said. I just need information on how I can get away from her legally. My boyfriends who has been my boyfriend for 4 yrs parents want to take me in but I need Information on that as well.

1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: You’ll need to seek emancipation in the district court of the county in which you reside. Check with the district clerk and they can tell you how the judge in your county handles them.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.