Edmonds, WA asked in Criminal Law for Washington

Q: With Washington state changing the law surrounding felony drug possession, is it possible to have a conviction reduced?

Now that drug possession is no longer considered a felony offense, am I able to petition for a reduction or even to vacate the conviction as long as it meets the new criteria? If it helps to understand where I am coming from, drugs were found in my house, not on my person, in the amount of <0.1 g.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Stan Glisson
Stan Glisson
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Port Orchard, WA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: If it was simple possession (felony or misdemeanor), then yes - it should eligible to be vacated. You should call the lawyer who represented you at the time, or maybe the public defense office for that court.

Here is a very short blog post I wrote on the topic if you want a little more information:


1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.