Clinton, MA asked in Child Custody, Divorce and Family Law for Massachusetts

Q: Can a child request a custody change if they feel they are being mentally abused?

I have split parents, they have been divorced since I was 5. My mother has been abusing me mentally. I know this always gets over looked as the child overreacting but this isn’t some joke. My parents have equal custody, can I request to live with my good parent?

1 Lawyer Answer
Lillian J. LaRosa
Lillian J. LaRosa
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Woburn, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: If you are being mentally abused, have you told a Mandated Reporter such as a pediatrician , social worker, mental health counselor, psychologist, or school guidance counselor or school official or DCF hotline # about this matter and the underlying facts which constitute mental abuse? Is the non-abusing parent aware of the facts? The adults need to become involved in order to proceed with the Court system to intercede on your behalf for there to be a custodial change.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.