Raleigh, NC asked in Family Law for North Carolina

Q: What steps must be taken to get conservatorship or guardianship over a person (adult) with mental illness?

In this case it would be my 37 year old son, who has paranoid schizophrenia. I'm sure I would need hospital records . I'm not sure how to get them without the help of an attorney

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ben Corcoran
Ben Corcoran
  • Yadkinville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: Once you start the guardianship process, a guardian ad litem (GAL) will be appointed. They should be able to access some of these records; I highly advise that you get legal help in this matter, not just for the initial hearing but also for the subsequent duties that fall on the appointed guardian.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.