Clearwater, FL asked in Foreclosure and Real Estate Law for Florida

Q: 2nd mortgage in FL which has not been paid since 2009. Have not heard from mortgage company since 2009. Would like to

settle. Can they charge interest since then? Willing to pay amount owed in 2009. Does SOL apply if never received bill since 2009? Company on lien went under in 2009. Never notified of new lien owner.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Phillip William Gunthert
Phillip William Gunthert
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Orlando, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You will want to be careful negotiating and starting negotiations because you can revive the debt potentially . If there was no judgment ever, then the Statute of Limitations that applies is directly below (2b and 2c) ;

95.11 Limitations other than for the recovery of real property.—Actions other than for recovery of real property shall be commenced as follows:

(1) WITHIN TWENTY YEARS.—An action on a judgment or decree of a court of record in this state.


(a) An action on a judgment or decree of any court, not of record, of this state or any court of the United States, any other state or territory in the United States, or a foreign country.

(b) A legal or equitable action on a contract, obligation, or liability founded on a written instrument, except for an action to enforce a claim against a payment bond, which shall be governed by the applicable provisions of paragraph (5)(e), s. 255.05(10), s. 337.18(1), or s. 713.23(1)(e), and except for an action for a deficiency judgment governed by paragraph (5)(h).

(c) An action to foreclose a mortgage.

(d) An action alleging a willful violation of s. 448.110.

(e) Notwithstanding paragraph (b), an action for breach of a property insurance contract, with the period running from the date of loss.

It may be possible to try to find the owner of the debt, although possibly expired per above and reach a resolution, I would encourage a title search for starters so that you can find anything clouding the title, old loans would be one of those potential clouds and you will likely have to address it through some sort of settlement or quiet title action I suspect, I would encourage you to speak with and work with an attorney. What outstanding sum still remains would be helpful to know as well and any other details you could provide.

Barbara Billiot Stage agrees with this answer

A: I agree with my colleague and would only add the statute of limitations is five years from the date of maturity. If your loan was due to mature any time before April 13, 2016 the statute of limitations would be a defense, but for any date after that the lender who owns the note now could foreclose.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.