East Providence, RI asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Rhode Island

Q: Can I request being assigned the custodial parent since I am able to provide for my daughter without state assistance?

The mother of my child is on state help (section 8/neighborhood health etc.). The state of RI on her behalf came after me to provide the health insurance for the child through my job, which I did. Now the child support was never adjusted taking insurance into consideration. Am I able to have the State of RI on my behalf request changing me to the custodial parent since I am able to provide for my daughter without any assistance from the state? Like they did for the health insurance? I currently have 46% custody during the school year and 50% in the summer. Thank you.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Carl P. DeLuca
Carl P. DeLuca
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Warwick, RI
  • Licensed in Rhode Island

A: I don't think the state will do that for you but you can ask the Rhode Island Family Court to make the change in placement and they will do so if it is in the best interests of the child. In addition, if you have the child half the time or close to half the time, you could ask the court to use the shared placement formula to calculate your child support which would likely reduce the support you have to pay.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.