Dillon, SC asked in Adoption, Child Custody and Family Law for South Carolina

Q: Can I possibly takeover custody of a baby that dss placed with his aunt?

He was born addicted to cocaine. Dss placed him with his aunt . I am not a blood relative. But my kids are. So dss placed him with her but I have him 6 nights a week and she has him 1. When thwy went to court back in Jan, his guardian ad litem asked the judge to place him with me. But instead they gave permanent custody to the aunt. Her house is filthy, the baby is always dirty, and I have texts as proof that when she has the baby she allows him to spend time with his addict parents unsupervised. Is there anyway I could get custody

1 Lawyer Answer
Megan Hunt Dell
Megan Hunt Dell
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Charleston, SC
  • Licensed in South Carolina

A: Under South Carolina law, when children are removed from a home, there is an order of preference for where the children should be placed (with family or not). If you wish to seek custody of this child, you should seek the advice of a lawyer experienced with DSS cases and third-party custody claims.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.