Cleveland, OH asked in Family Law and Child Support for Ohio

Q: Does my husband have to pay child support if the child's mother went on Vacation to Puerto Rico and decided to stay?

My husbands children are 27 and 28 years old. When he was with the mother of the children she decided to go to Puerto Rico while she was pregnant and stayed there without his consent and had the child in Puerto Rico. He said he tried back then to establish child support and it was very difficult. Is he still obligated to pay child support to Puerto Rico if they never officially ordered Child Support from him?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Cathy Cook
Cathy Cook
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Sounds like some entity is trying to collect support from him. You need to retain a local attorney to determine if the order is valid.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.