Dickinson, TX asked in Divorce, Family Law and Child Support for Texas

Q: I’ve been divorced and have 50 50 custody of my 2 children, there was no child support in place because of the 50 50

She tells me when I can get the kids and now she wants to take me to court for child support even though I’ve asked for week to week and she refuses

1 Lawyer Answer
Jonathan Tanaka
Jonathan Tanaka
  • Harker Heights, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: I would suggest that you reach out to a family law attorney in your area (Dickinson) so they can review the divorce decree with you and discuss what your options are.

It sounds like your ex-spouse is wanting to modify the final order to give her primary custody and to order you to pay child support. You can file first asking for the same thing or file a counterpetition if she has already filed.

Depending on what the final order states, you may also want to file a Motion to Enforce Possession/Access if she is not complying with the order as far as visitation goes. Best of luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.